Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
These days can’t get enough of easy summer dinners. This recipe for asparagus pasta is top notch, believe me! It’s perfect whether you chow down on it while it’s hot or let it chill at room temperature. It’s great for parties, get-togethers, or just hanging out on the grass. Do you enjoy having leftovers for a snack straight from the fridge? Well, you can check that box, too!
This vegan pasta dish brings together simple spring ingredients in a flash. The Cannellini beans create a creamy, satisfying sauce without any dairy. The sautéed leeks add a melty richness that pairs perfectly with the beans.
A touch of lemon zest and lemon thyme gives it a fresh and balanced flavor. The asparagus and kale are cooked to tender-crisp perfection with a slightly charred taste.
If you happen to have thicker asparagus stalks, this pasta is a great way to use them. Personally, I prefer using shaved asparagus because it adds a nice texture at the end (I’m not a fan of mushy asparagus). By barely cooking the shaved asparagus, it stands out in the pasta instead of getting lost.
When it comes to this asparagus pasta, I wouldn’t recommend making a ton of bean substitutions. I find that small white beans work really well. They don’t overpower the asparagus, allowing it to shine. Plus, they break down slightly, contributing to the creamy sauce.
Hungry for a gout-fighting recipe? Check out this delicious Asparagus Pasta! Perfect for easy summertime suppers, parties, or chilling out on the grass. It’s vegan, creamy, and packed with flavor.
Pasta and Gout-Friendly Diets
When it comes to gout diets, remember to keep things moderate. Pasta is usually fine for gout, but keep an eye on portion sizes and what you mix in. Whole wheat or whole grain pasta is a healthier option with more fiber and nutrients compared to regular pasta. So go for it, but watch what you put on your plate!
Also, try teaming up your pasta with gout-friendly items like veggies, legumes, and lean proteins. That way, you’ll have a well-rounded meal. And of course, when it comes to your health, it’s always smart to chat with a doctor or a dietitian who can give you personalized advice. Trust me, they’ll have your back!
Get a Healthy Boost with Asparagus in Your Diet!
Asparagus is a veggie that can do it all in the kitchen. You can toss it in salads, throw it in soups, stir-fry it up, or let it shine as a side dish. Grill or roast it for extra flavor, or keep it crisp by steaming or lightly sautéing.
By the way, asparagus has some great diuretic properties. That means it could make you pee more, which might be helpful for certain health issues. All in all, asparagus is a delicious and healthy vegetable that can jazz up your meals in so many ways.
In terms of asparagus and gout, my own experience has proven that I can eat it without experiencing a flare-up. To be cautious, I make sure to limit my use to sporadic, small amounts. On the other hand, I do know of people who constantly say that eating asparagus causes gout episodes.
A few searches online will show you that many people link eating purine-rich foods like asparagus with subsequent gout attacks. However, it is important to note that some individuals, including myself, seem to handle eating asparagus without experiencing any negative side effects.
List of Ingredients
- 6-7 ounces of 100% whole grain pasta
- 1 bunch of kale (about 8-10 ounces), chopped into small pieces (discard thicker ribs)
- 10 ounces of asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (halve vertically if thick)
- 1 cup of thinly chopped leeks (approximately 1/2-inch rounds)
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups or 15 ounces of small white beans (substitute: small white kidney beans or navy beans)
- 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Zest of one lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice (plus more for finishing)
- 1/3 cup of reserved pasta water
- 2-3 teaspoons of fresh lemon thyme leaves (or regular thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Step-By-Step Instructions for Vegetarian Lemon Asparagus Pasta with White Beans
- Cook the pasta: To cook the pasta, start a big pot of salted water on the stovetop. Add the whole grain pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1/3 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Prepare the asparagus and kale: While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped asparagus and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender-crisp. The asparagus should be taken out of the skillet and put aside. In the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the kale for 4-5 minutes until wilted. Set the kale aside after removing it from the skillet.
- Sauté the leeks and garlic: In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the chopped leeks and garlic for 2-3 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Create the creamy sauce: Add the cannellini beans to the skillet with the leeks and garlic. Mash some of the beans with a fork or potato masher to create a creamy texture. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon thyme leaves, salt, and black pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Combine the pasta and sauce: Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the creamy bean sauce. Toss to coat the pasta evenly. If the sauce seems too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water gradually until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the asparagus and kale: Gently fold in the sautéed asparagus and kale into the pasta mixture, ensuring they are evenly distributed.
- Serve and enjoy: Transfer the lemon asparagus pasta to serving plates or bowls. Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice and a sprinkle of lemon thyme leaves. Serve warm or at room temperature, as desired.
Serve and Enjoy!
Get ready to indulge in this delightful vegetarian lemon asparagus pasta with white beans! It’s the perfect dish for easy summer dinners or any occasion. Remember to enjoy it in moderation and feel free to customize the recipe with your favorite healthy ingredients.